Best wishes for a happy Christmas!
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve! Be sure to put out a bowl of porridge with butter (Risengrød) to show respect and keep the nisse in good spirits! Check out the recipe below–
Holiday Hours for the Danish Windmill
Christmas Eve, Thursday, December 24 | Open 10 am–3 pm
Christmas Day, Friday, December 25 | Closed
Saturday, December 26 | Closed
Sunday, December 27 | Open 12–4 pm
Have a wonderful holiday!
Danish Rice Pudding (Risengrød)
Traditional and old-fashioned recipe for Danish Rice Pudding also known as Risengrød. Perfect recipe if you are looking for some very traditional Danish Christmas food.
- 1 cup short-grained white rice pudding rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 gal milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pour the water and the rice in a large sauce pan. Add salt, heat it up and let it boil for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the milk into the sauce pan and let it boil while stirring.
- Let the rice pudding boil lightly/simmer for about 35 minutes under a lid. Remember to stir in the pudding regularly so that the rice does not burn to the bottom of the sauce pan.
- Make some cinnamon sugar by mixing the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Serve the rice pudding with a tablespoon of butter and the cinnamon sugar